Friday, March 4, 2011

It's a process...

I have this RSS feed that sends me a daily meditation from the N.A. Basic Text.

Today's meditation talked about how, in recovery, our lives become a process.  The Twelve Steps become an integrated part of our lives and that in working the Steps, we strip away everything that made us who we were in our addiction and rebuild ourselves into a sober, normal, functional person.

During my first few months and years in the recovery process, everything I heard in meetings or read in the Big Book or Basic text didn't make any sense at all.  Now, I see things in a new light.  The things that I read make sense and I hear parts of myself in the stories that are shared in meetings.

I tell and have told my wife and family that my recovery is an ongoing process.  There is no date circled on the calendar when I can jump up and shout "I AM CURED!!"  It takes work.  Even the people in my groups that have years and years of sobriety say that they have to work at it every day.  Some days it is easy, some days it is hard.

I don't know how many people are still following my blog, but I would very much like to hear how other people handle the ups and downs.  I know that it helps me to hear other people talk about how they deal with the process of life.  Maybe something that someone shares will help others in their process. 

No comments: